5: Poem, Erika Meitner's “Wal★Mart Supercenter,” 2014.
This poem appears in Meitner’s fourth book of poetry, Copia, published in 2014. It was originally published inThe Rumpus, an online literature and culture magazine, in 2011.
- Why don’t the stanzas and sentences (or the lines and sentences) match up? What effect does this have on the poem?
- Which lines do you think hold a lot of significance? Underline them, then share.
- What story is the writer telling? How is she telling it?
- Why does the author bring up the idea of mercy? What does that add to the poem?
- What do you think are the messages of the poem?
- How does the poem relate to the American Dream?
- How does the poem relate to Death of a Salesman? What does each text say about material goods, selling stuff, and America?
Source: Erika Meitner, “Wal★Mart Supercenter” from Copia. Copyright © 2014 by Erika Meitner. Used with the permission of The Permissions Company, Inc., on behalf of BOA Editions, Ltd., www.boaeditions.org.